Thursday, December 17, 2009

"Marathon" pt.1 complete, and an Assignment! (Updated)

DSC_9337 This was a tiresome stretch... Almost no sleep since tuesday morning, very wet outside, and adding insult to injury: it's cold as a witch's breast!


But then again, I have a shoot to make! More, inside.
First things first: The semester is coming to an end. It's holiday season, people are caroling and stores have crazy x-mas sales that are gouging us more than a couple of months ago. Anyways....

This means that all the Erasmus are going back home to their families, and a lot of 'em are not coming back. So this is THE insane week in night parties.
The pics are not too fancy: stick a DIY Omni-bounce on a SB-24, and off goes my D80. Just press the button enough times, and you're done Monkey-Man!

But that's the beauty of it: you don't have to be great. Just BE (there)!
Shooting an Omni on-camera or on-camera bounce is not rocket science, and the result is not great. But people are grateful  that you're there, turning moments into memories. And there's the bonus of meeting hundreds (literally!) of new people.

DSC_9184

But I'm loosing the subject here.
So, after a crazy night tuesday, I went downtown, trying to find a PC-cord smaller than 10" to plug my Cactus triggers into the SB-24s with a "pro-look".
Totally useless. I went in about 5 photo stores and 6 electronic and audio components ones, and NOTHING! (Seems like the Internet has to save the day again)

If it wasn't for the great clouded sky (giving me a city-sized softbox to play), I'd have gotten really pissed.
Oh, and did I mention my knee was hurting, making every mile I walked a painful experience?

Anyways, some goodies, and more on Flicrk, as usual.

DSC_9308 DSC_9320 DSC_9312 DSC_9323 DSC_9322 DSC_9331 Emergency! DSC_9316



As for the assignment today tomorrow:
(Update: the shoot got postponed for tomorrow, friday)

So, there is this guy on Erasmus I know, that "studies" surf here in PT, and there is a Belgian surf magazine that wants a story about that. Solving that simple equation, I'll be shooting the pics for it in Faculdade de Motricidade Humana (FMH) today.

We're supposed to start around 5:30pm 12:30, and it'll be all done indoors, because the waves are in killer-mode this time of the year. (And it's cold outside. And rainy too!)
I'm approaching this assignment with three (3) strobes, two on RF-triggers and the other in dumb-optical slave.
I'll be hauling all the gear I believe necessary, so you can relax: I'm not gonna ask you to borrow me anything.
If you want to show up, feel free to!
We'll turn an editorial shoot into a brainstorm/workshop, and we can grab a few beers by the end.


My contacts are on facebook, so if you're interested, don't be a stranger!
We already made a pre-shoot with the Carver-board, check it :

DSC_8949 [1600x1200 JFM] DSC_8939 [1600x1200 JFM] DSC_8950 [1600x1200 JFM] DSC_8955 [1600x1200 JFM] DSC_8970 [1600x1200 JFM] DSC_8981 [1600x1200 JFM] DSC_8987 [1600x1200 JFM] DSC_8976 [1600x1200 JFM]

1 comment: